Scion is a New Zealand Crown research institute that specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry, wood product and wood-derived materials and other biomaterial sectors.
Their purpose is to drive creativity and growth from these sectors to build economic value and contribute to beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
Scion is the leading CRI in the following areas:
- Sustainable forest management and tree improvement.
- Forestry biosecurity, risk management and mitigation.
- Wood processing, wood-related bioenergy, waste streams and other biomaterials.
- Forestry and forestry-based ecosystem services to inform land-use decision-making.
Scion collaborates with other research providers and end-users to develop:
- land-based biosecurity, soil and freshwater management
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
- indigenous forestry
- industrial biotechnology and high-value manufacturing.
Scion achieves its purpose through research, technology and knowledge in partnership with industry, government and Māori stakeholders.
- Crown Research Institute
Te Papa Tipu Innovation Park,
49 Sala Street,
Private Bag 3020,
Phone: +64 7 343 5899
Fax: +64 7 348 0952
- Research, development and education.
- 05 November 2007